Food Facility Registration Renewal

Well, it’s been a while since we’ve talked about the food safety and security laws that have passed post 9/11 and some of the food borne illness that have moved through the US in recent years but we need to remind you that you must register or renew your registration as a facility that handles a feed. Cottonseed is one of the products covered by the Food Safety Modernization act so all gins must register. If you registered with the FDA since 2003 as a handler of an animal feed, you should go in and renew your registration. If not, its time to register.

As a part of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA), all facilities that manufacture, process, pack or hold food for human or animal consumption within the United States or foreign facilities that export to the United States must re-register in even numbered years beginning with 2012. Details can be found at

Please note that gins were required to register in 2003 under the FDA Food/Feed Bioterrorism Rule. FSMA will incorporate the existing FDA Food/Feed Bioterrorism Rule.

Your gin must register, or re-register beginning October 22 and bi-annually thereafter. Please note there is no cost associated with registering.

To register, beginning on October 22 you can visit FDA’s Food Safety Modernization Act page at ( to access online registration instructions. You can also download a printable version that can be faxed. Those forms can be found in links on the page above or by clicking here.

Please let me know if you have any questions.